The La Plata County Sheriff's office on Wednesday said that Mark Redwine is the person of interest in the 2012 death of his son, Dylan Redwine.
Also, the sheriff said the La Plata County Coroner has amended the death certificate for Dylan Redwine to read that the manner of death was a homicide. It had previously read "undetermined."
Dylan's father has been named as a person of interest "based on evidence collected, inconsistent statements made by Mark Redwine, and his behavior throughout the investigation," according to a news release from the sheriff's office.
Elaine Hall, Dylan's mother, was thrilled Wednesday. She believes her ex-husband killed her son, and she filed a wrongful death lawsuit against him in June.
"It was a surprise," she said of the development in the case. "Everybody knew it, and now it's finalized. At least he's on notice."
Hall said she appreciates everyone's support in keeping her son's disappearance and killing in front of the public.
"It's good to see his face and name out there," she said. "It's good to think they're still advocating on behalf of him."
On the same day Hall filed her civil lawsuit, June 29, the sheriff's office announced they had identified a person of interest in the November 2012 disappearance, but did not specify who it was.
In another coincidence, on Wednesday a judge ruled against Redwine in his court motion to have the lawsuit dismissed.
"That was encouraging news," Hall said.
In this week's news release, the sheriff's office also said that as part of their investigation, Hall, their elder son, Cory Redwine, and Elaine's husband, Mike Hall, were cleared of any involvement in the disappearance and death of Dylan Redwine.
The sheriff's office is asking that anyone who might have any information that could help in their investigation to call their hotline at 382-7511.
Dylan Redwine went missing after being picked up by his father in November 2012 for a court-ordered visit. His partial remains were discovered on Middle Mountain, near Mark Redwine's home, in June 2013. Another search of that area is planned for early or mid-September.
Mark Redwine did not return a telephone call on Wednesday afternoon seeking comment.