A former Bayfield resident died Monday after a propane exploded in his camper in Zeeland, North Dakota.
Bert Jerry Monger, Jr. died later in the hospital of burn and injuries sustained during the explosion.
According to local news reports in North Dakota, Monger died of injuries sustained in a propane explosion around 4:15 p.m. July 10 in Zeeland, according to McIntosh County Sheriff Laurie Spitzer. Authorities do not know what ignited the propane.
Spitzer said the 59-year-old was alone in the camper during the explosion. Monger Jr. was pulled out of the fire and transported to a hospital, then a burn center in Minnesota, where he eventually died.
Monger Jr. is survived by three sons, Kennie and Richie of Bayfield, BJ of Santa Fe, and five grandchildren.
Monger Jr. graduated from Bayfield High School in 1976 and had lived in North Dakota for about 10 years. His family homesteaded a large ranch east of Bayfield.
His sons will hold a memorial service at a later date, according to a family member.