Firefighters saved a home early Sunday near Bayfield.
Upper Pine Fire Protection District Fire Chief Bruce Evans said hot ashes placed in a plastic garbage container outside the garage of a house on Emerald Heights Lane spread to a wall, but firefighters were able to stop the fire at the wall.
"The homeowner cleaned out a wood-burning stove and thought everything was out," Evans said.
He said the family of four was alerted at 1 a.m. Sunday when the smoke detectors went off. They awoke to discover flames outside the house.
They evacuated the house, and there were no injuries, he said.
The homeowner used a water hose to fight the fire, but when Upper Pine Fire Protection arrived, the fire had spread to the garage wall.
"It was fortunate the fire was contained to the wall and didn't spread to the attic," Evans said.
Ashes should be mixed with water and thoroughly doused before disposing in a metal can, Evans said. The can should be placed well away from a home.
"This was the second structure fire with damage in two months caused by placing ashes in a plastic container," Evans said.
Nine firefighters, two engines, a water tender, an ambulance and a medium-duty rescue truck were sent on the call, Evans said.